- Broad & Bright, winner again in China Business Law Journal’s 2014 China Business Law Awards
In January 2015, Broad & Bright was, once again, recognized as "Competition & Antitrust Law Firm of The Year" in China Business Law Journal’s China Business Law Awards 2014. Award information will be published on the February 2015 issue of China Business Law Journal.
- Broad & Bright Partners recognized as "Leading Lawyers" by Asialaw 2015.
Broad & Bright is pleased to announce that the following partners of Broad & Bright have been recognized as Leading Lawyers in China by Asialaw 2015 based on extensive survey of senior corporate executives, in-house counsel and private practice lawyers:
Hongchuan Liu - Corporate M&A
Chen Yifan - Corporate M&A, Labour & Employment
Philips Z Ding - Energy & Natural Resources, IT, Telco & Media
David Wang - Banking & Finance, Corporate M&A
Ji Jun - Dispute Resolution, Intellectual Property
Yao Feng - Competition & Antitrust
- Broad & Bright Partners Discuss China’s M&A Market
The Asian Lawyer published an article in January 2015 based on the conversation with Broad & Bright partners, who discuss about the challenges and opportunities in China’s cross-border M&A market.[More...]
- Haiping Sun, joined Broad & Bright as partner on January 1, 2015. Previously, Ms. Sun worked with the Jun He Beijing office and Mori Hamada & Matsumoto in their Shanghai office and Tokyo office. Her practices focus on foreign investment, M&A and real estate. Ms. Sun will be worked in Broad & Bright Shanghai office and Beijing office.
- The Opening Ceremony for Jiaxing Sino-Lion Mechanical and Electrical Co., Ltd
On 17th December 2014, Mr. David Wang and Ms. Cheryl Tong were invited to attend the opening ceremony of Jiaxing Sino-Lion Mechanical and Electrical Co., Ltd held at Jia Shan.
Jiaxing Sino-Lion Mechanical and Electrical Co., Ltd is a Sino-foreign joint venture enterprise jointly founded by Monarch Industries Limited from Canada and Sinoindustries Co., Ltd., which is in engaged in the production of hydraulic cylinder. As the legal counsel of Monarch Industries Limited, Broad & Bright has provided full-range legal services for the establishment of joint venture.
- Opening of Broad & Bright Tokyo Office
- In celebration of the grand opening lecture as well as celebration banquet held in Tokyo for the new opening of Broad & Bright Tokyo Office
Broad & Bright is honored to announce the opening of its Tokyo Office on December 1st, 2014.
Broad & Bright Tokyo Office is established by Broad & Bright in association with Japan Toranomon Chuo Law Firm (hereinafter referred to as ‘Toranomon Chuo Firm’) in a form of joint venture, which has been approved by the Ministry of Justice of Japan and Japan Federation of Bar Association, and registered in Japan as an overseas branch of Broad & Bright. The official registered name is Toranomon Chuo Law Firm Broad & Bright Foreign Law Firm (foreign law joint venture).
Mr. Yifan CHEN, partner of Broad & Bright, has been approved by the Ministry of Justice of Japan to practice in Japan as an officially registered foreign lawyer in Japan. Mr. Yifan CHEN (partner) and Mr. Hongliang YIN (counsel) will be the resident partner/counsel of Broad & Bright Tokyo Office.
Broad & Bright and Toranomon Chuo Firm jointly held a lecture as well a celebration banquet in Japan Okura Hotels & Resorts on December 2nd. Nearly 750 client representatives and friends from all business sectors, together with about 30 partners, counsel, and senior associates from Broad & Bright Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou and Hong Kong Offices attended this grand gala.
During the afternoon of the event, lawyers from Broad & Bright (Jun JI, Yifan CHEN, Hui DONG, Weiwei WENG, Taotao ZHU, Hongliang YIN and Feng ZHAO) together with lawyers from Toranomon Chuo Firm presented keynote lectures on the topics of 4 major issues in the Sino-Japan economic and trade practice, namely “Compliance Management Standards in Multi-National Corporations”, “Merger & Acquisition and Merger Control Filings”, “Debt Collection” and “Major Issues on Labor Law Practice”.
At the celebration banquet, Mr. Yoshihiko Miyauchi, Senior President of ORIX Corporation headquarter, Mr. Fumio Sudo, Chairman of Tokyo Electricity Powers Corporation, Mr. Yuji Miyamoto, former Japanese Ambassador to China and current Representative of Miyamoto Asia Research Institute and Mr. Naotoshi Okada, Vice-Chairman of Japan Economic News Press Co., made speeches respectively on behalf of the guests. Mr. Komura Masahiko, the president of Japan-China Friendship Parliamentarian’s Union sent a message of congratulations. The residential partner of the Tokyo Office, Mr. Yifan CHEN presented a toast. And lastly, Mr. Kazuo Imai, representative lawyer of Toranomon Chuo Firm, and Mr. Jun JI, managing partner of Broad & Bright, made a speech on behalf of the firms to appreciate the long-term support and trust from the clients and friends, and to commit themselves to the active promotion of Sino-Japan economic and trade relations by providing higher quality of legal services to both Chinese and Japanese enterprises in the future.
Broad & Bright Tokyo Office is the first overseas office of Broad & Bright, which will closely cooperate with the Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou and Hong Kong offices as a whole to provide comprehensive legal services of higher quality and better efficiency to both local Japanese clients and Chinese Clients.
- Broad & Bright Partners attend The U.S. - China Legal Summit – SHANGHAI
Kai Yuan (Keith) and Hao Jiang participated in panel discussion on the topic of “Foreign Investment Trends” at The U.S. - China Legal Summit – SHANGHAI on 25th November 2014.
Kai Yuan commented on the recent relaxation of market entry barriers, opportunities and challenges that the foreign investors may encounter in 2015. Hao Jiang discussed about general anti-avoidance rules of the PRC. Kai and Hao further discussed the lessons learnt from the joint venture and M&A projects together with other panel members.
Over two hundred senior in-house counsels from multinational corporations attend this Summit, which is organized by The American Lawyer.
- Partners of Broad & Bright are recognized as "Leading Lawyer" by IFLR1000 2015.
Mr. David Wang and Mr. Hongchuan Liu have been nominated as a Leading Lawyer in the IFLR1000 (2015 edition) in the area of “M&A”. In addition, Ms. Yao Feng was honoured the Leading Lawyer in area of “Competition”.
- Broad & Bright held a seminar on “Litigation Issues on Trade Secret Protection”
Broad & Bright held a seminar on the topic of “Litigation Issues on Trade Secret Protection”. The speaker, Ms. Jinlin Sun, has eight years of experience as an intellectual property judge at a court in Shanghai and is currently a senior attorney at Broad & Bright. More than 30 general counsels or senior legal counsel representatives from various multi-national companies attended this seminar.
- Broad & Bright held a seminar on “Common Mistakes during the Redundancy Process and the Responding Strategies”
Broad & Bright held a seminar on the topic of “Common Mistakes during the Redundancy Process and the Responding Strategies”. We invited Mr. Xianmin Zhang, the Director for Labor Security Supervision Department of Shanghai Labor and Social Security Bureau, to be the speaker of the seminar. More than 30 general counsels or senior legal counsel representatives from various multi-national companies attended this seminar.
- PROMINENT CORPORATE/M&A ATTORNEY Peter neumann JOINS broad & bright
Broad & Bright is pleased to announce that veteran China practice corporate attorney Peter A. Neumann has joined the firm as an International Partner. Mr. Neumann possesses deep knowledge of the China business and investment environment, with 20 years of cross border FDI and M&A experience, and has also handled numerous Asia Pacific regional matters. Mr. Neumann will be based in the Shanghai office and spearhead strategic practice initiatives in the United States.
Neumann brings over 20 years of experience representing and counseling clients on corporate, M&A, market entry, regulatory and compliance matters in Greater China and Asia Pacific. Relocating to Shanghai from Hong Kong in 1997, he previously served as Shanghai Managing Partner of Deacons, Faegre & Benson and Greenberg Traurig. From 2011 until he joining Broad & Bright on October 1, Peter held the position of Vice President and Asia Pacific General Counsel for Celanese Corporation, a Fortune 500 chemicals and specialty materials company.
“Peter is a terrific asset to our team and significantly enhances our ability to serve clients doing business and investing across borders between the US and China” said David Wang, Managing Partner of the firm’s Shanghai office. “Beyond his extensive experience in general corporate, M&A and related regulatory areas, he is fluent spoken and written Mandarin Chinese, and serves as an ideal bridge between Chinese and US business and legal cultures as we seek to extend our international capabilities” added Mr. Jun JI, the Firm’s Managing Partner.
Neumann has extensive experience handling cross border FDI and M&A matters, as well as licensing, distribution and compliance in industries encompassing manufacturing, semiconductors, biotech, alternative energy/cleantech, hospitality and transportation, among others. In addition, he counsels Chinese companies on going-abroad strategies and fund-raising.
Mr. Neumann said of his arrival: “Up and down the line, the commitment of Broad & Bright’s attorneys to excellence and collaboration is unrivaled in China. I am thrilled by the opportunity to work with such a great transactional team and a truly integrated partnership — and to do so within a culture that so values developing and retaining talent while serving the broader community. I am eager to help the firm take a big step forward in expanding our international reach.”
Neumann has previously served as Chairman of the American Chamber of Commerce in Shanghai Legal Committee and is a frequent speaker on legal and compliance issues. He graduated from Dartmouth College in 1984 with a major in Chinese language and literature, and earned a Doctor of Jurisprudence from the UCLA School of Law in 1989, where he also served as Editor-in-Chief of the Pacific Basin Law Journal.
- Broad & Bright advised a Japanese company on its layoff of One hundred and more employees due to expiry of the business. Mr. Yifan Chen led Broad & Bright team with the support from Mr. Kaiyuan Xu and others.
- Broad & Bright advised a Japanese company on its liquidation procedure and its layoff of 12 employees. Ms. Hua Ji led Broad & Bright team with the support from Mr. Yuming Zhu.
- Broad & Bright advised a Japanese company on its layoff of 180 employees due to relocation of manufacturing plants within Shanghai. Mr. Yifan Chen led Broad & Bright team with the support from Mr. Kaiyuan Xu.
- Broad & Bright acted as the PRC legal counsel to Cogobuy Group (科通芯城，stock code: 00400) in its initial public offering on the Main Board of Hong Kong Stock Exchange on July 18, 2014. Cogobuy Group is a leading e-commerce company with the largest transaction-based e-commerce platform for IC and other electronic components in China, as measured by gross merchandise value in 2013. Based on the final price of HK$4.00 per offer share, the net proceeds from the global offering amounted to HK$1,309.9 million after deduction of underwriting fees and commissions and other estimated listing-related expenses paid and payable by the Company in connection with the global offering (assuming no exercise of the Over-allotment option). Hongchuan Liu and Candy H. Chen led Broad & Bright team to advise on PRC law issues.
- Broad & Bright advised a European company on its layoff of 150 employees due to relocation of manufacturing plants.Mr. Yifan Chen led Broad & Bright team with the support from Ms. April Yan.
- Mr. David Wang and Mr. Roland Sun led Broad & Bright team to advise Outokumpu Oyj and Shanghai Krupp Stainless Co., Ltd. on a financing deal with a European bank.
- Broad & Bright advised a Japanese company in auto industry on its layoff of 108 employees due to close of its office. Our firm conducted labor due diligence, prepared dismissal plan, communicated with the local government, negotiated with the employees. Mr. Yifan Chen led Broad & Bright team with the support from Mr. Kaiyuan Xu.
- Broad & Bright represented Merck KGaAin the merger control filing in China. Merck had made a recommended cash offer of 403.5 pence per share, totaling approximately €1.9 billion to acquire AZ Electronic Materials in December 2013.Ms. Yao Feng led Broad & Bright team with the support from Ms. Ying Yang, Mr. Bo Li, and other members of Broad & Bright.
- Broad & Bright advised a European company on its layoff of 440 employees due to relocation of manufacturing plants. The client signed mutual termination agreements with all target employees, without incurring any labor dispute. Mr. Yifan Chen led Broad & Bright team with the support from Ms. April Yan.
- Jenny Zhong led Broad & Bright team to advise VMware in its collaboration with China Telecom (“CT”) to build a virtual cloud operation center under the brand CT e-Cloud services Powered by VMware.
- Broad & Bright advised Rusal in its sale of operational assets to a Chinese party. Philips Ding led Broad & Bright team in this transaction and was supported by Candy Chen and Hubert Chen. RUSAL is a leading, global aluminium producer and one of the world’s major producers of alumina.