- Partners of Broad & Bright are recognized as "Leading Lawyer" by IFLR1000 2015.
Mr. David Wang and Mr. Hongchuan Liu have been nominated as a Leading Lawyer in the IFLR1000 (2015 edition) in the area of “M&A”. In addition, Ms. Yao Feng was honoured the Leading Lawyer in area of “Competition”.
- Broad & Bright held a seminar on “Litigation Issues on Trade Secret Protection”
Broad & Bright held a seminar on the topic of “Litigation Issues on Trade Secret Protection”. The speaker, Ms. Jinlin Sun, has eight years of experience as an intellectual property judge at a court in Shanghai and is currently a senior attorney at Broad & Bright. More than 30 general counsels or senior legal counsel representatives from various multi-national companies attended this seminar.
- Broad & Bright held a seminar on “Common Mistakes during the Redundancy Process and the Responding Strategies”
Broad & Bright held a seminar on the topic of “Common Mistakes during the Redundancy Process and the Responding Strategies”. We invited Mr. Xianmin Zhang, the Director for Labor Security Supervision Department of Shanghai Labor and Social Security Bureau, to be the speaker of the seminar. More than 30 general counsels or senior legal counsel representatives from various multi-national companies attended this seminar.
- PROMINENT CORPORATE/M&A ATTORNEY Peter neumann JOINS broad & bright
Broad & Bright is pleased to announce that veteran China practice corporate attorney Peter A. Neumann has joined the firm as an International Partner. Mr. Neumann possesses deep knowledge of the China business and investment environment, with 20 years of cross border FDI and M&A experience, and has also handled numerous Asia Pacific regional matters. Mr. Neumann will be based in the Shanghai office and spearhead strategic practice initiatives in the United States.
Neumann brings over 20 years of experience representing and counseling clients on corporate, M&A, market entry, regulatory and compliance matters in Greater China and Asia Pacific. Relocating to Shanghai from Hong Kong in 1997, he previously served as Shanghai Managing Partner of Deacons, Faegre & Benson and Greenberg Traurig. From 2011 until he joining Broad & Bright on October 1, Peter held the position of Vice President and Asia Pacific General Counsel for Celanese Corporation, a Fortune 500 chemicals and specialty materials company.
“Peter is a terrific asset to our team and significantly enhances our ability to serve clients doing business and investing across borders between the US and China” said David Wang, Managing Partner of the firm’s Shanghai office. “Beyond his extensive experience in general corporate, M&A and related regulatory areas, he is fluent spoken and written Mandarin Chinese, and serves as an ideal bridge between Chinese and US business and legal cultures as we seek to extend our international capabilities” added Mr. Jun JI, the Firm’s Managing Partner.
Neumann has extensive experience handling cross border FDI and M&A matters, as well as licensing, distribution and compliance in industries encompassing manufacturing, semiconductors, biotech, alternative energy/cleantech, hospitality and transportation, among others. In addition, he counsels Chinese companies on going-abroad strategies and fund-raising.
Mr. Neumann said of his arrival: “Up and down the line, the commitment of Broad & Bright’s attorneys to excellence and collaboration is unrivaled in China. I am thrilled by the opportunity to work with such a great transactional team and a truly integrated partnership — and to do so within a culture that so values developing and retaining talent while serving the broader community. I am eager to help the firm take a big step forward in expanding our international reach.”
Neumann has previously served as Chairman of the American Chamber of Commerce in Shanghai Legal Committee and is a frequent speaker on legal and compliance issues. He graduated from Dartmouth College in 1984 with a major in Chinese language and literature, and earned a Doctor of Jurisprudence from the UCLA School of Law in 1989, where he also served as Editor-in-Chief of the Pacific Basin Law Journal.
- The Lawyers’ interview with Mr. Yifan Chen
The Lawyers interviewed Mr. Yifan Chen in Japan, during which Mr. Yifan Chen talked about Broad & Bright’s upcoming establishment of a combined international/domestic law office in Tokyo in association with Toranomon Chuo Law Firm, his personal growth history as a lawyer, as well as the cause for the establishment of such combined international/domestic law office and the future development path thereof. The interview feature has been published on The Lawyers’ 2014 October issue.
- Broad & Bright held a seminar on “Arbitration and Dispute Resolution
under the New Economic Circumstances”
Broad & Bright held a seminar on “Recent Hot Topics on Arbitration” in its Shanghai office on September 25, 2014. The speaker is Mr. Huang Wen, vice secretary general of Shanghai International Arbitration Center. Seventeen general counsels or senior legal counsel representatives from multi-national companies attended the seminar.
- Broad & Bright sponsored the seminar on “Globalization and the
Economic Administrative Law”
On the afternoon of September 20, 2014, Broad & Bright and the Research Center of International Economics and Administrative Law (In Preparation) of Fudan University jointly hosted the seminar on “Globalization and the Economic and Administrative Law”. Professor Shudi Zhu from the Law School of Fudan University and an alumni Mr. Liming Ni presided as the chairpersons of this academic seminar. Philips Z. Ding from Broad & Bright took part in the discussion on the topic of “Administrative law issues in connection with financial regulatory regime -- Administrative Litigation Case of China Everbright Bank”.
- On September 19, 2014, Mr. Yifan Chen of Broad & Bright participated in the “Commercial Practice in PRC Trade Business” Lecture Series organized by Japan Tariff Association, and held a 2-hour lecture featuring the hot topic of “Commercial Bribery and Legal Measures against Anti-trust”, the GSK case as well as latest anti-trust cases in the automobile industry. Management and operational personnel of more than 30 Japanese enterprises participated in the lecture.
- Broad & Bright won two awards in the China Law & Practice
Broad & Bright won the “Antitrust Law Firm of the Year” and the “Up and Coming Law Firm of the Year” in the China Law & Practice Awards 2014 Ceremony at Beijing on September 18, 2014. Mr. Hongchuan Liu and Mr. Changchun Yuan attended the ceremony and accepted these two awards on behalf of Broad Bright. In addition, Mr. Hongchuan Liu and Mr. David Wang were both honored as the leading lawyers in the area of “Corporate and M&A”.
- Broad & Bright advised a Japanese company on its layoff of One hundred and more employees due to expiry of the business. Mr. Yifan Chen led Broad & Bright team with the support from Mr. Kaiyuan Xu and others.
- Broad & Bright advised a Japanese company on its liquidation procedure and its layoff of 12 employees. Ms. Hua Ji led Broad & Bright team with the support from Mr. Yuming Zhu.
- Broad & Bright advised a Japanese company on its layoff of 180 employees due to relocation of manufacturing plants within Shanghai. Mr. Yifan Chen led Broad & Bright team with the support from Mr. Kaiyuan Xu.
- Broad & Bright acted as the PRC legal counsel to Cogobuy Group (科通芯城，stock code: 00400) in its initial public offering on the Main Board of Hong Kong Stock Exchange on July 18, 2014. Cogobuy Group is a leading e-commerce company with the largest transaction-based e-commerce platform for IC and other electronic components in China, as measured by gross merchandise value in 2013. Based on the final price of HK$4.00 per offer share, the net proceeds from the global offering amounted to HK$1,309.9 million after deduction of underwriting fees and commissions and other estimated listing-related expenses paid and payable by the Company in connection with the global offering (assuming no exercise of the Over-allotment option). Hongchuan Liu and Candy H. Chen led Broad & Bright team to advise on PRC law issues.
- Broad & Bright advised a European company on its layoff of 150 employees due to relocation of manufacturing plants.Mr. Yifan Chen led Broad & Bright team with the support from Ms. April Yan.
- Mr. David Wang and Mr. Roland Sun led Broad & Bright team to advise Outokumpu Oyj and Shanghai Krupp Stainless Co., Ltd. on a financing deal with a European bank.
- Broad & Bright advised a Japanese company in auto industry on its layoff of 108 employees due to close of its office. Our firm conducted labor due diligence, prepared dismissal plan, communicated with the local government, negotiated with the employees. Mr. Yifan Chen led Broad & Bright team with the support from Mr. Kaiyuan Xu.
- Broad & Bright represented Merck KGaAin the merger control filing in China. Merck had made a recommended cash offer of 403.5 pence per share, totaling approximately €1.9 billion to acquire AZ Electronic Materials in December 2013.Ms. Yao Feng led Broad & Bright team with the support from Ms. Ying Yang, Mr. Bo Li, and other members of Broad & Bright.
- Broad & Bright advised a European company on its layoff of 440 employees due to relocation of manufacturing plants. The client signed mutual termination agreements with all target employees, without incurring any labor dispute. Mr. Yifan Chen led Broad & Bright team with the support from Ms. April Yan.
- Jenny Zhong led Broad & Bright team to advise VMware in its collaboration with China Telecom (“CT”) to build a virtual cloud operation center under the brand CT e-Cloud services Powered by VMware.
- Broad & Bright advised Rusal in its sale of operational assets to a Chinese party. Philips Ding led Broad & Bright team in this transaction and was supported by Candy Chen and Hubert Chen. RUSAL is a leading, global aluminium producer and one of the world’s major producers of alumina.