- Broad & Bright will hold the seminar on the topic of "Common Mistakes during the Redundancy Process and the Responding Strategies". We invite Mr. Xianmin Zhang, the Director for Labor Security Supervision Department of Shanghai Labor and Social Security Bureau, to be the speaker of the seminar. Broad & Bright will invite the general counsels or senior legal counsel representatives to attend this seminar.
- The Lawyers’ interview with Mr. Yifan Chen
The Lawyers interviewed Mr. Yifan Chen in Japan, during which Mr. Yifan Chen talked about Broad & Bright’s upcoming establishment of a combined international/domestic law office in Tokyo in association with Toranomon Chuo Law Firm, his personal growth history as a lawyer, as well as the cause for the establishment of such combined international/domestic law office and the future development path thereof. The interview feature has been published on The Lawyers’ 2014 October issue.
- Broad & Bright held a seminar on “Arbitration and Dispute Resolution
under the New Economic Circumstances”
Broad & Bright held a seminar on “Recent Hot Topics on Arbitration” in its Shanghai office on September 25, 2014. The speaker is Mr. Huang Wen, vice secretary general of Shanghai International Arbitration Center. Seventeen general counsels or senior legal counsel representatives from multi-national companies attended the seminar.
- Broad & Bright sponsored the seminar on “Globalization and the
Economic Administrative Law”
On the afternoon of September 20, 2014, Broad & Bright and the Research Center of International Economics and Administrative Law (In Preparation) of Fudan University jointly hosted the seminar on “Globalization and the Economic and Administrative Law”. Professor Shudi Zhu from the Law School of Fudan University and an alumni Mr. Liming Ni presided as the chairpersons of this academic seminar. Philips Z. Ding from Broad & Bright took part in the discussion on the topic of “Administrative law issues in connection with financial regulatory regime -- Administrative Litigation Case of China Everbright Bank”.
- On September 19, 2014, Mr. Yifan Chen of Broad & Bright participated in the “Commercial Practice in PRC Trade Business” Lecture Series organized by Japan Tariff Association, and held a 2-hour lecture featuring the hot topic of “Commercial Bribery and Legal Measures against Anti-trust”, the GSK case as well as latest anti-trust cases in the automobile industry. Management and operational personnel of more than 30 Japanese enterprises participated in the lecture.
- Broad & Bright won two awards in the China Law & Practice
Broad & Bright won the “Antitrust Law Firm of the Year” and the “Up and Coming Law Firm of the Year” in the China Law & Practice Awards 2014 Ceremony at Beijing on September 18, 2014. Mr. Hongchuan Liu and Mr. Changchun Yuan attended the ceremony and accepted these two awards on behalf of Broad Bright. In addition, Mr. Hongchuan Liu and Mr. David Wang were both honored as the leading lawyers in the area of “Corporate and M&A”.
- On August 28, 2014, Broad & Bright co-hosted a Seminar on Mainland
China’s Economic and Trade Regulations with Taiwan Trade, Center Beijing
Representative Office. More than 60 Taiwanese-invested enterprises participated
in the Seminar and fully discussed and communicated on important labor law
Broad & Bright co-hosted a Seminar on Mainland China’s Economic and Trade Regulations with Taiwan Trade, Center Beijing Representative Office, during which Mr. Yifan Chen and Mr. Wei Lu gave a keynote speech on “Measures to deal with Labor Crisis and Company’s Unilateral Termination” and Mr. Jun Ji, Mr. Linzhu Wang, and Mr. Chong’an Chen attended following discussion and Q&A session. Senior management personnel, legal counsels, and human resource managers from more than 60 Taiwanese-invested enterprises located in Northern China participated in the Seminar, who fully exchanged their views and engaged in heated discussions on issues of collective bargain, labor risk estimation and management, establishment of employment rules and etc.
- Broad & Bright Opens Hong Kong and Guangzhou Offices
Broad & Bright is pleased to announce the opening of its Hong Kong and Guangzhou Offices.
Broad & Bright Hong Kong Office was established on June 13, 2014, and is a registered foreign law firm and in association with CFN Lawyers, Hong Kong local law firm. Broad & Bright and CFN Lawyers jointly held a cocktail party celebrating the association between firms on June 26, 2014.
Jun JI and Philips Z. DING are the resident partners of the Hong Kong office. They will split their time between Hong Kong office and Beijing/Shanghai offices.
Guangzhou Office is led by Mr. Hui DONG, office managing partner, who is supported by Mr. Kai Yuan (Keith), corporate partner, and Taotao Zhu, a Japanese speaking counsel. The Judicial Bureau of Guangzhou Municipality has granted the practicing license to Broad & Bright Guangzhou Office.
Guangzhou and Hong Kong offices will work seamlessly to serve multinational companies’ business in Southern China.
- The 1st Cross-Strait Forum for Economics and Finance Legal Practices jointly organized by Broad & Bright and NCCU Center for Corporate Governance was held in National Chengchi University on June 10, 2014. It has attracted more than 200 participants from academic and governmental area in Taiwan.
Mr. Jun Ji, Mr. Philips Ding, Mr. Linzhu Wang, Mr. Hui Dong, Mr. Weiwei Weng, Mr. Yifan Chen, Ms. Jinlin Sun, Mr. Chongan Chen, and others from Broad & Bright attended the 1st Cross-Strait Forum for Economics and Finance Legal Practices jointly organized by Broad & Bright and NCCU Center for Corporate Governance. Lawyers from Broad & Bright and professors from NCCU discussed in detail various hot topics in cross-strait legal practice, in terms of merger and acquisition, intellectual property law, engineering law and received positive feedback from the audience.
During this trip, Broad & Bright lawyers have also visited PWC Taiwan and Formosan Brothers Attorneys-at-Law. Except for exchanging experience in providing legal service for foreign investment in China, Broad & Bright has also took a steady step in the development of further cooperation and better customer service.
- Firm retreat to Kagoshima, Japan
From May 31 to 4 June, 2014, all members of Broad & Bright Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou offices and alumni gathered in Kagoshima, Japan to jointly celebrate the tenth anniversary of Broad & Bright.
|Broad & Bright has a top tier ranking in the IFLR1000|
- Broad & Bright advised a Japanese company on its layoff of 180 employees due to relocation of manufacturing plants within Shanghai. Mr. Yifan Chen led Broad & Bright team with the support from Mr. Kaiyuan Xu.
- Broad & Bright acted as the PRC legal counsel to Cogobuy Group (科通芯城，stock code: 00400) in its initial public offering on the Main Board of Hong Kong Stock Exchange on July 18, 2014. Cogobuy Group is a leading e-commerce company with the largest transaction-based e-commerce platform for IC and other electronic components in China, as measured by gross merchandise value in 2013. Based on the final price of HK$4.00 per offer share, the net proceeds from the global offering amounted to HK$1,309.9 million after deduction of underwriting fees and commissions and other estimated listing-related expenses paid and payable by the Company in connection with the global offering (assuming no exercise of the Over-allotment option). Hongchuan Liu and Candy H. Chen led Broad & Bright team to advise on PRC law issues.
- Broad & Bright advised a European company on its layoff of 150 employees due to relocation of manufacturing plants.Mr. Yifan Chen led Broad & Bright team with the support from Ms. April Yan.
- Mr. David Wang and Mr. Roland Sun led Broad & Bright team to advise Outokumpu Oyj and Shanghai Krupp Stainless Co., Ltd. on a financing deal with a European bank.
- Broad & Bright advised a Japanese company in auto industry on its layoff of 108 employees due to close of its office. Our firm conducted labor due diligence, prepared dismissal plan, communicated with the local government, negotiated with the employees. Mr. Yifan Chen led Broad & Bright team with the support from Mr. Kaiyuan Xu.
- Broad & Bright represented Merck KGaAin the merger control filing in China. Merck had made a recommended cash offer of 403.5 pence per share, totaling approximately €1.9 billion to acquire AZ Electronic Materials in December 2013.Ms. Yao Feng led Broad & Bright team with the support from Ms. Ying Yang, Mr. Bo Li, and other members of Broad & Bright.
- Broad & Bright advised a European company on its layoff of 440 employees due to relocation of manufacturing plants. The client signed mutual termination agreements with all target employees, without incurring any labor dispute. Mr. Yifan Chen led Broad & Bright team with the support from Ms. April Yan.
- Jenny Zhong led Broad & Bright team to advise VMware in its collaboration with China Telecom (“CT”) to build a virtual cloud operation center under the brand CT e-Cloud services Powered by VMware.
- Broad & Bright advised Rusal in its sale of operational assets to a Chinese party. Philips Ding led Broad & Bright team in this transaction and was supported by Candy Chen and Hubert Chen. RUSAL is a leading, global aluminium producer and one of the world’s major producers of alumina.