- Broad & Bright held seminars on “Practical Issues in Civil Enforcement Procedure”
Broad & Bright held two seminars on the topic of “Practical Issues in Civil Enforcement Procedure” respectively on March 24 and April 14. The speaker, Mr. Lian, partner of Broad & Bright, has more than 13 years of work experience and has successfully represented many influential and remarkable cases. This two seminars earned positive feedbacks from the audience for Mr. Lian’s excellent speech and depth discussion on the topic.
- Opening of Broad & Bright Los Angeles Office
Broad & Bright is pleased to announce the opening of its new Los Angeles Office in Century City. The office is officially registered with the State Bar of California and doing business as “Broad & Bright, P.C.”
The Broad & Bright Los Angeles Office is the Firm’s first US location, following successful launches in Hong Kong and Tokyo, and collaborates closely with the firm’s Beijing (headquarters), Shanghai and Guangzhou offices, to provide seamless, sophisticated cross-border corporate and business legal services to our clients.
In addition to advising U.S. technology, media, med-tech and manufacturing companies on their China legal matters, the Los Angeles office also works closely with U.S. law firms to provide best-in-class legal support to Chinese companies in their U.S. M&A, PE/VC, real estate, licensing and other transactions.
The Los Angeles Office is headed by Mr. Peter A. Neumann, Managing Shareholder, who previously joined Broad & Bright in Shanghai as an International Partner. Mr. Neumann grew up in the Los Angeles area and has deep roots in the Southern California business and legal community. He graduated from Dartmouth College in 1984 with a Bachelors of Arts (with honors) in Chinese language and literature, and earned his Doctor of Jurisprudence from the UCLA School of Law in 1989. Mr. Neumann has been actively licensed to practice law in California since 1989, and was also a Registered Foreign Lawyer in China, where he has lived and practiced for over 20 years.
Mr. Neumann is fluent in spoken and written Mandarin Chinese up to a professional level. While living in China, Mr. Neumann accumulated rich practice experience advising and assisting multinational companies in legal aspects of their Greater China and Asia strategies and operations, handling numerous M&A, joint venture, greenfield, licensing, distribution and franchising transactions. Mr. Neumann also advises his clients on compliance, regulatory issues and government advocacy strategies, and actively advises Chinese companies on US transactions.
- Broad & Bright is proud to announce promotion of partner and counsel
Broad & Bright is proud to announce the promotion of counsel and partner. Promotion is effective from January 1, 2016.
Ms. Candy Chen is promoted to be partner at the Beijing Office of Broad & Bright. Ms. Chen’s practice encompasses foreign direct investment, cross border merger & acquisition, private equity investment, outbound investment, overseas listing as well as general corporate and commercial matters. Ms. Chen received her M. Phil. degree in law from City University of Hong Kong in 2006 and LL.B from Tsinghua University in 2004.
Ms. Amanda Ji is promoted to be counsel at the Shanghai Office of Broad & Bright. Ms. Ji focuses her practice in the areas of anti-corruption, labor law and dispute resolution. Ms. Ji graduated from Shanghai University and received his LL.B in 2002.
- Mr. Lian Yanjie Attended the 315 Special Live Broadcast Program at Shanghai Traffic Radio’s Invitation
On March 15, 2016, Mr. Lian Yanjie attended the 315 special live broadcast program at Shanghai Traffic Radio’s invitation. This special program aims to discuss and interact with audience regarding consumer rights protection, especially in the new consumption area. The program was simultaneously broadcasted by Tencent sh.qq.com by means of video, photo and text, as well as netizens’ onsite participation. Mr, Lian expressed his expert opinion on the issues of the application of the Law on the Protection of Rights and Interests of Consumers under the new consumption trend, and etc., and reminded that consumers must pay attention to the collection and retention of evidence. The details of the above program have been compiled and shared on Shanghai Traffic Radio’s official Wechat public account, which received extensive attention and favorable comments.[More...]
- Broad & Bright Wins Awards in Chambers Asia-Pacific Guide 2016 Again
Broad & Bright ranked in the Band One of Competition/Antitrust (PRC Firms) by Chambers Asia-Pacific Guide 2016, specifically designed to recognize the achievements of those law firms and individuals who have assessed and successfully responded to the dynamic needs of the client.
Ms. Yao Feng and Ms. Ying Yang were also awarded the Chambers Asia-Pacific's Leading Lawyers Awards in Competition/Antitrust area respectively.
- Broad & Bright Actively Contributes to Non-Governmental Communications between China and Japan
n the afternoon of January 18, 2016, Mr. Yifan Chen, partner of Broad & Bright, invited Mr. Okida Mamoru, vice chairman of head office of Chuo University’s Students Association, Professor Takeishi Chikako, vice president of Chuo University, and other companions to our law firm, to attend the talkfest regarding establishing Chinese Students' Branch of Chuo University Students Association. After that, Mr. Chen invited the guests to a celebration dinner. Mr. Hattori Yutaka, chairman of Japanese Alumni Association of Shanghai Hakumonkai, and Mr.Sumi Jouji, permanent member of Nanko Club and etc were also invited to the dinner. Mr. Komura Masahiko, vice president of Japanese Liberal Democratic Party and chairman of Alliance of Japan-China Amicable Representatives sent congratulation speech to the dinner. The celebration party for “Establishing Chinese Students' Branch of Chuo University Students Association” was held successfully.
Mr. Yifan Chen, partner of Broad & Bright, graduated from Chuo University, a well-known Japanese law school. Mr. Chen has been actively participating in Nanko Club of Chuo University and other activities, and is devoted to friendly communications between China and Japan.
- Broad & Bright Wins Two Awards in China Business Law Journal’s 2016 China Business Law Awards
In January 2016, Broad & Bright was recognized as "Competition & Antitrust Law Firm of The Year" and "Compliance and anti-corruption Law Firm of The Year" in China Business Law Journal’s China Business Law Awards 2015. Award information will be published on the February 2016 issue of China Business Law Journal.
China Business Law Journal’s China Business Law Awards are based on hundreds of nominations received from China-focused corporate counsel and legal professionals around the world. In determining the winners, the nominations (and the justifications provided for each nomination) were considered carefully in combination with other factors, such as each firm’s landmark deals, cases and other notable achievements over the past year.
- Yanjie Lian Joined Broad & Bright as Partner
On January 1st, 2016, Yanjie Lian joined Broad & Bright as a partner, prior to which he has served as associate and partner at Shanghai Xinhua Law Firm.
Yanjie Lian mainly practices on litigation and arbitration, real estate, construction and projects, corporate and commercial law, intellectual property right, entertainmen law and other fields. He has more than 13 years of work experience, and has provided legal service for dozens of domestic and international enterprises and government authorities. In the litigation field, Yanjie Lian has achieved rather positive reslts for many litigation cases with his outstanding professional expertise and unique litigation strategy. In addition, Yanjie Lian has been interviewed by many famous and authoritative news media, such as Shanghai Television, ICS Foreign Language Channel, Xinmin Evening News and Shanghai Broadcasting Station for many times, and has provided professional legal advice on many social hot issues. Yanjie Lian was elected as one of the Top Ten Excellent Young Lawyers of Shanghai in 2014.
Yanjie Lian’s joining Broad & Bright will greatly enhance our competitiveness in the field of commercial litigation and arbitration, real estate, construction and projects and etc.
- Mr. Jun Ji attended the “Sino-Japan Economy Symposium” in Kagoshima
August 2015, Mr. Jun Ji attended the “Sino-Japan Economy Symposium” held by Sino-Japan Friendship Association at Kagoshima City Mountain Resort's, in Kagoshima Prefecture Kagoshima City Mountain Resort's. During the Symposium, Mr Ji gave a speech on the topic of “Respect the Divine and Love the People - Reconciliation between Japan and China and Our Responsibilities” and earned positive feedbacks from the audience. More than 140 people attended the meeting, most of which are tourism or trade related personnel from China and Japan.
- Broad & Bright is highly recommended in Asialaw 2016
Broad & Bright is pleased to announce that the following areas of Broad & Bright have been recognized as "Recommended Areas" in China by Asialaw Profiles 2016：
Banking & Finance, Capital Markets, Competition & Antitrust, Construction & Real Estate, Corporate/M&A, Dispute Resolution, Energy & Natural Resources, Financial Services Regulatory, Intellectual Property, IT, Telco & Media, Labour & Employment, Private Equity, Project Finance, Restructuring & Insolvency, Tax
- Broad & Bright Partners recognized as "Leading Lawyers" by IFLR1000
Broad & Bright is pleased to announce that the following partners of Broad & Bright have been recognized as Leading Lawyers in China by IFLR1000 2016:
Hongchuan Liu - Capital markets, M&A, Private equity
David Wang - Disputes, M&A
Yao Feng – Competition
- Broad & Bright is highly recommended in Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2016
Broad & Bright is pleased to announce that the following areas and partners of Broad & Bright have been recognized as "Recommended Areas" "Leading Lawyers" and “Recommended Lawyers" in China by The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2016:
1. Recommended Areas:
- Antitrust and competition
- Corporate and M&A
- Dispute resolution
- Intellectual property
- Projects and energy
2. Leading Lawyers:
Yao Feng- Antitrust and competition
3. Recommended Lawyers:
Antitrust and competition - Yao Feng, Ying Yang
Corporate and M&A - David Wang, Hongchuan Liu, Keith Yuan, Philips Ding, Roland Sun
Dispute resolution - Jun Ji
Projects and energy - Libin Zhang, Yuping He
- Broad & Bright and Toranomon Chuo Law Firm advised a famous Chinese travel company on its establishment of a Tokyo branch. Our partner Ms. Haiping Sun led the case with support from the Japanese lawyers from the international business department of Toranomon Chuo Law Firm.
- Broad & Bright represented a well-know Japanese manufacturer in a lawsuit regarding disputes on bill of exchange in China, with all claims upheld by the court. Our partner Ms. Haiping Sun led the case with supported from Mr. Xiaote Jin and others.
- Broad & Bright represented a well-know Japanese company on its acquisition of a Chinese consumer goods distribution company by means of asset transfer. Our partner Ms. Haiping Sun led the case with supported from Mr. Xiaote Jin and others.
- Broad & Bright represented a well-know Japanese company on investment to a major veterinary-drug manufacturer in Shandong, China by means of capital increase and equity transfer. Our partners Mr. Jun Ji and Mr. Weiwei Weng led the team headed by Ms. Haiping Sun with support from Ms. Lihua Yin, Ms. Yali Lu and Mr. Xiaote Jin.
- Broad & Bright advised a foreign invested manufacturing company on its labor disputes case. The employee claimed against the company for illegal termination of labor contract. However, the case was settled at the final arbitration stage with an amount far less than the claimant's claimed amount. This case was managed by our partner Mr. Yifan Chen, and was represented by Ms. Hua Ji and Ms. Yiming Huang.
- Broad & Bright advised a Japanese-invested enterprise on the termination of labor relationship with one of its senior management personnel, who has been on a waiting post with full payroll for almost two years. Broad & Bright team advised on the whole process of plan making, several rounds of negotiation and making notification, and managed to assist the company to terminate the its labor contract with such senior management personnel within the statutory severance amount. Mr. Yifan Chen led the Broad & Bright team with the support from Ms. Hua Ji, who participated in the entire implementation and negotiation process.
- Broad & Bright advised a Japanese company on its overall employee settlement resulted from its asset transfer, and provided legal services thereon. Mr. Yifan Chen led the team supported by Ms. Hua Ji and Mr. Kaiyuan Xu. The total number of the settled employees reached 400 people. Upon the company's official announcement on the cancellation of the assembly line department, a total of 28 employees refused the company's proposed termination plan by negotiation. Upon the company's unilateral termination of their labor contracts, labor arbitration and litigation arose. Ms. Hua Ji and Mr. Kaiyuan Xu represented the company and won the labor arbitration. Currently, this case was closed in the trial of first instance, with all employees accepting the mediation plan insisted by the company.
- Broad & Bright advised a Japan's leading manufacturers in its recombine, involving Company’s set up and logout, transfer of more than 200 employees and so on. Ms. Haiping Sun led the team with the support from Ms. Hua Ji, Mr. Kaiyuan Xu and other associates.
- Keith Yuan, partner of Broad & Bright, led the team to represent Chengdu Detong Yinke Venture (DT Capital Group) in its Pre-IPO Series investment in a Chinese high-tech agricultural products developing and processing enterprise. Broad & Bright advised DT Capital in its transaction documents and related PRC legal issues. Mr. Keith Yuan led Broad & Bright team with support from Ms. Shirley Lu.
- Keith Yuan, partner of Broad & Bright, led the team to represent Chengdu Detong Yinkejincheng Venture (DT Capital Group) in its Series-A investment in a TMT enterprise. Broad & Bright advised DT Capital in its transaction documents and related PRC legal issues. Mr. Keith Yuan led Broad & Bright team with support from Ms. Shirley Lu.
- Keith Yuan, partner of Broad & Bright, led the team to represent Vitop Bioenergy Holdings Limited in advising its affiliated subsidiary in acquiring several commercial properties in Guangzhou. Keith Yuan led Broad & Bright team with support from Shirley Lu and Yuanyuan Zhu. Vitop Bioenergy Holdings Limited is a listing company on HKEx with Stock Code No. 1178, combining production and marketing business of healthcare products, multi-functional water generators as well as business of real estate investment.
- Keith Yuan, partner of Broad & Bright, led the team to represent V1 Group Limited in advising its subsidiary V1 Group Information Engineering Co., Ltd. in contemplating and refining its contractual arrangements so to consolidate the account statement and interests of Beijing V1PIN E-Commerce Co., Ltd. Broad & Bright provided legal support for the project. Mr. Keith Yuan led Broad & Bright team with support from Ms. Shirley Lu and Ms. Yuanyuan Zhu. V1 Group Limited is a listing company on HKEx with Stock Code No. 0082, its focused business covers TMT, lottery, and mobile games business. Beijing V1PIN E-Commerce Co. Ltd. operates the platform of www.v1pin.com which is providing healthcare products, skin care products and personal care products to female consumers.
- Broad & Bright advised a Japanese company for its settlement of more than 200 employees as a result of its failure to continue operation due to outstanding company debts. Mr. Hui Dong led the team with the support from Mr. Kaiyuan Xu and other associates.
- Philips Ding, partner of Broad & Bright, led the team to advise Bertelsmann Asia Investments on its angel round investment in two start-up technology companies. Broad & Bright team performed legal due diligence over the target companies, draft transaction documents for the client.
- Broad & Bright assisted its client to successfully obtain China’s first publicly announced release of restrictive conditions imposed in MOFCOM’s merger control reviews. Ms. Yao FENG, together with her team supported its clients throughout the process.